From ZoneMinder Wiki
Here is an example crontab you might use with Zoneminder. These are put in /etc/crontab which is easier than managing individual user crontabs. Used in Devuan Jessie, ZM 1.30.
#disable cron emails MAILTO="" #backup 00 5 * * 6 root mysqladmin -u zmuser --password=zmpass zm > /somewhere/zmdbbackup.sql #reboot once a month 00 1 1 * * root /sbin/reboot #monitor HDD health 00 1 * * 1 root /usr/sbin/smartctl -t short /dev/sda 30 1 * * 1 root /usr/sbin/smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda > /somewhere/HDD_HealthReport.txt 35 1 * * 1 root echo "hdd report" | mail -A /somewhere/HDD_HealthReport.txt -s "HD SMART TEST FOR ZM SERVER" email@example.com #set different runstate for weekends 00 1 * * 6 www-data /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl Weekend 00 23 * * 7 www-data /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl Weekday
- The backup will give you a DB file but not save any of your images/videos. The DB can restore your configuration only. You might want to backup videos separately. Also note, There is a better backup script on the forums, which saves multiple copies of the database.
- Email must be configured to use mail -s (see links in SMS_Notifications for a quick setup).
- When changing run state via zmpkg.pl you must use www-data user. Combine this with the possible feature from SMS_Notifications.
- This example is intended for /etc/crontab. You do not specify user when you run a # crontab -e.
- For full details on Run States see: http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#how-can-i-get-zm-to-do-different-things-at-different-times-of-day-or-week